When you do your own research on what to do if asbestos may be in your home or your work environment. Here are some helpful tips for keeping you safe when it comes to being exposed in a health hazardous place. You can research valuable information at https://mesowatch.com/asbestos-exposure-overview/ to learn more about the affects of asbestos and symptoms that may arise with exposure.
Inhaling asbestos: Take the right measures to make sure you are clear of any hazardous exposure before attempting to help other people in the infected environment. If you are in a place that is full of asbestos dust, you need to make sure to get to fresh and clean air as soon as possible. The inhalation of asbestos is not a hazard at first, but it does put you in a heightened risk of developing a disease such as lung cancer or mesothelioma years in the future. Fibers from asbestos when breathed in will get stuck into your lung tissue and stay dormant there for years and will cause severe symptoms of developing lung cancer.
Skin contact asbestos: Make sure if you are in a hazardous asbestos environment you completely wash your clothing and body prior to making your way back home. Knowing that you put family members and loved ones at risk, may just help you and your family from developing a disease associated with exposure to asbestos. The fibres from asbestos can get stuck in and on your clothing and coming home from work with contaminated clothing can put others at a higher risk of developing a disease due to secondhand exposure.
Eye Contact asbestos: The risk that exposure can cause the eyes occurs when asbestos material or products get disturbed and the fibers are released and become airborne. Immediately wash out your eyes with water and any recommended eye cleaner. If symptoms of pain or irritation become more severe contact and set an appointment with your doctor right away.
Ingestion of asbestos: When swallowing asbestos dust it can lead to severe health issues. Fibers will get lodged in your esophagus and will end up spreading to other organs in your body. Make sure to rinse your mouth out completely and set a doctor’s appointment as soon as you can.
Seek a doctor right away if you have any concerns with being exposed. There you will be referred to a specialist or you will be able to confirm that you are okay.